Saturday, April 12, 2008

Comic Book Reviews

It is, at LONG last, time for more comic book reviews. I was going to do some last weekend, but the weather was just too nice and I couldn't get myself to sit in front of the computer and do them. So this is 2 weeks worth. And keep in mind that I am behind, so these are not the most current issues - which is a good thing for those of you who are ALSO behind and don't like spoilers.

The grades are just like back in school A - F. The comics are in no particular order.

YOUNG AVENGERS PRESENTS WICCAN & SPEED #3 (of 5)

Marvel. Written by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, Art by Alina Urusov, lettered by VC’s Cory Petit. $2.99
Cute little story about two brothers searching for their mother. Art was nice. Not the best thing I’ve ever read, but it was pretty good. B.


YOUNG X-MEN #1

Marvel. Written by Mark Guggenheim, art by Yanick Paquette, Lettered by Dave Sharpe. $2.99
I really wanted to like this comic, really I did. But I just didn’t. Some pages had great art, while on other pages it looked like it was either phoned in or some other artist had done it. The story was similar – it jumped all over the place and I just couldn’t get hooked into anything. I’ll read the next couple and see if it can win me over. D


FABLES #71

DC Comics. (Vertigo) Written by Bill Willingham, art by Mark Buckingham, lettered by Todd Klein and a really awesome cover by James Jean. $2.99
This is the first of a two-part story about Cinderella – you know, the covert, special ops spy Cinderella. Great as always – I bow to Willingham & Buckingham for putting together a comic book that has never once let me down. The story in this one was captivating and kept me on the edge of my (bus) seat and the art was great as always. A


JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #19

DC Comics. Written by Alan Burnett, art by Ed Benes, lettered by Rob Leigh. $2.99
Interesting twist to the story and good art. But I do feel like some of these DC stories, like this one, are very geared into the event storyline and they loose some of the fun of being their own stories. Just an average story with pretty decent art. C+


X-FACTOR #29

Marvel. Written by Peter David, art by Valentine DeLandro, lettered by VC’s Cory Petit. $2.99
As always – great. One of the few X-Men books I read. It’s a bit more confusing now because of the whole Messiah Complex deal that I didn’t follow, but heck, it’s a comic, and I can figure it out. The story is always well crafted and the art works very well with it. A

DOCTOR WHO #2

IDW. Written by Gary Russell, art by Jose Maria Berdy, letters by Neil Uyetake. $3.99
The art was a bit better in this one, but still not really my taste. The story was fun though. For kids who enjoy Dr. Who I think this would be a great thing to have them check out. Each issue so far has been a one-and-done story and the art would probably appeal to kids, since it’s a more animated style. The cover price is higher than what I’d like to see though. B-


WONDER WOMAN #18

DC Comics. Written by Gail Simone, art by Bernard Chang, Rob Leigh did letters. $2.99
Not a huge fan of the art in this issue. I didn’t think the story got very good until the end either. Not my favorite issue. C-


JACK OF FABLES #21

DC Comics (Vertigo). Written by Bill Willingham & Matthew Sturges, art by Tony Akins, lettered by Todd Klein. $2.99
More fun and silly adventures. We’ve departed from the “Jack on the Run” storytelling in this issue and we take the time to just laugh at Jack’s crass personality. Not my favorite story for the series, but still fun. B+


SECRET INVASION #1 (of 8)

Marvel. Written by Brian Michael Bendis, art by Leinil Yu, lettered by Chris Eliopoulos. $3.99
Good start to the story – tension, suspense, and a cliff-hanger. Hopefully this can continue for the entire series. Yu’s art is strange because sometimes I think it’s really good and other times I don’t like it much. The cover price is higher, but you do get extra pages for your money. A

CEMETERY BLUES #3

Image (Shadowline). Story by Ryan Rubio & Thomas Boatwright, art by Thomas Boatwright, lettered by Jason Hanley. $3.50.
Always a fun read. This issue finished up the Hunter part of the story, but still left us with another story brewing. The art is also very good, as I’ve said before. If you are looking for something fun and different than your typical super hero fare you should pick up this comic. A

DARK TOWER LONG ROAD HOME 1 & 2 (of 5)

Marvel. Based on the Dark Tower novels written by Stephen King, plotted by Robin Furth and scripted by Peter David, with art by Jae Lee and Richard Isanove, lettered by Chris Eliopoulos. $3.99
This series continues where the Gunslinger Born left off, as the Roland and his friends are off of their adventure and Roland’s love Susan has been killed. It is just as good, with a well written adaptation of the King epic, and beautifully painted art that makes the story more terrifying than mere words do. The only part I didn’t like about this was the prose story in the back of the issues. For some reason the story this time just isn’t as interesting to me as the story in the back of the first series was. I read a page and then can’t remember much of what I read. This is unfortunate because I used the prose story “extra” as a way to justify the higher cover price, and if I don’t enjoy that part then it seems like the comic is too expensive. B


KICK-ASS 1 & 2

Marvel (Icon). Written by Mark Millar and art by John Romita Jr. $2.99
You know, it’s funny, I didn’t think I’d like this comic at all, but with such an outlandish name I had to at least check it out. Romita Jr.’s art in this is not good (for the love of all that is good, someone PLEASE teach J R Jr. how to draw a circle). On rare occasion I like his art, but in this series I’m not a fan. But he does pay attention to details like the background and having the action scenes really take on their own life, which I like. The story was very good. It read very quickly and kept me interested the entire time. For comic book fans it had lots of insider quips and bits that made it hit home. Millar’s story has parts that are extremely unbelievable yet he ties in enough reality to make you wonder why no one’s done what the main character is doing. Because I think Romita’s art is just not great, I can’t give this an A. B

No comments: