Monday, November 27, 2006

Put Some Clothes On, Barda


DC Direct has been, for a year or so, releasing a series of female character mini-busts called Women of the DC Universe. Many of them, but not all, have had costumes on with plunging necklines. Others have had skin-tight costumes. Asside from the Poison Ivy figure that had a top that barely covered her breasts, most of them were suggestive but not overly skanky. Aparently DC felt that they needed to turn up the skank a bit more. Big Barda, solicited in the December Prieviews catalog, is barely covered in anything. I am newer to comics, but I have never seen her in a bikini before. I checked other comic fan sites, and many were saying the same thing - WHEN was she ever dressed like THIS? Seriously DC, how about putting some clothing on her? If I wanted half naked statues in my store I'd order from Aspen or Image, but I don't. I just don't see the need to make strong female comic book characters into costumed strippers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She always looks like this when I imagine her...Jus'kiddin'
Where are our "family values"?

Anonymous said...

Over at Comics Should Be Good, Greg Burgas wondered if Barda ever appeared in a bikini in an actual comic book, and the answer apparently was "yes". (The only instance I found was the cover of an issue of Comic Book artist, but others found more substantial evidence, for instance, this.)

Lisa said...

Thanks Michael. I guess this mini bust is based on the Kirby Barda, or something similar. I still don't like that they've gone this route, but I guess it wouldn't be the first time.

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, I don't think it should get a free pass just "because Kirby did it".

(I actually find all of Kirby's Fourth World stuff to be dreadful and just do not understand why the characters keep popping up. Their central role in John Byrne's Generations III series, for instance, really killed the series for me.)