Monday, November 06, 2006

Short Run


So, DC decides to revive a poor-selling comic by putting a well-known artist on it. I'm talking about Aquaman, which was selling quite poorly. Then, DC uses One Year Later combined with Conan writer Kurk Busiek, to help boost the comic's sales. It does so, but only temporarily. As sales sink and delays plague Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis (the new version of the same title), suddenly Busiek has a new project and has to get off of this sinking ship. Coincidence? I think not. Tad Williams, writer of The Next, will be the new man to pen the fishy tales of Aquaman as it continues to sink into the depths of back issue bins everywhere.

Click here to read the Newsarama.com column on the change.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis is the only book to come out of One Year Later which I continue to read and enjoy. It's not great, but it's got me engaged. Oh well. It's not the first book I've enjoyed which died just when it got good (I'm still lamenting the passing of Todd Klein and Shawn McManus' Omega Men, and that was 20 years ago!).

Anonymous said...

My hat is off to anyone who's up to the challenge of trying to keep sales up for a book like this:
very well established but definitely second string character with built in goofyness.

I'm looking forward to the probably-not-upcoming Kyle Baker run during the sixth or seventh iteration of the Aquaman book, some time in the early 10s (teens?). Seriously, Aquaman is custom made for a humour book.