Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Revenge of the Cold


So far, other than being a little cold, we've been able to survive this bitter cold just fine. But today it wasn't so easy. Last night shortly before we went to bed we heard a wierd noise like a pipe shaking. Craig and I looked at each other, looked around the house, and discovered nothing. Everything seemed fine and we didn't hear anything else. Then around 3 am the dog barked at a noise she heard. At first we heard nothing and Criag fell back asleep. Then I woke up again, hearing something that sounded like a large engine, close by, shaking the house at times, and an occasional small banging sound. Craig didn't hear it. At first I thought I imagined it and tried to fall back asleep, but both Cassie the dog and I knew we were hearing something. About 20 minutes later I finally got up to investigate. I looked out the back window and saw nothing. But when I looked out the front window I discovered the source of the noise. There were men, a couple of work trucks, and work lights focused on the street right across from our house. It looked like they were tearing up the street - which usually means a water-main break. I turned on a faucet and sure enough - bone dry. Today we have no water at home and the city isn't sure when they'll have it fixed. Luckily Craig's parents live in Waukesha and he has a key to their house. We're off now to go shower and brush our teeth at their house. I don't know how the pilgrims did it! Not having water is quite an inconvenience, and it's too cold to pee in the bushes (lol).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to freeze stuff for fun, but its not cold enough here. I was hoping like... ok you know in movies when someone gets frozen or an object gets frozen and then hit really hard with something the whole thing shatters? Yeah i can't get that to work in real life.

That really sucks about your water. I'd go crazy if I couldnt' shower!!!

Anonymous said...

It's never to cold to pee in the bushes ;)