Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Thoughts on DC's World War 3



I wanted to share a couple of links with reviews of last week's World War 3 comic. If you haven't read it and don't like spoilers, then don't click through or read any further.

Brian Hibbs' review
Comics Fairplay review
Freak Comics review
Silver Bullet Comics review
Andy Oliver of Broken Frontier's review

It seems like everyone is basically on the same page. Some liked it more, some less, but overall everyone seemed to want MORE out of this, myself included. After reading them, I felt like the covers were the best part. (Which is why I posted them all here)


I did find the story to be rather awkward at points - it didn't seem to flow properly. For example, Manhunter is going nuts from the emotions of Black Adam, and then he's suddenly OK, and then later he's "changed" and now has the new costume - but we weren't given a real reason for any of these things happening. The Supergirl, Nightwing, and Batgirl stories seemed like they were just thrown in to be plot points and there wasn't much more to them. I also thought we'd be given some clue as to what's really going on here and why the heavy hitters of the DCU are gone - but we really weren't. It wasn't horrible, mind you, but it just felt to me like another 4 issues of "52" rather a big, meaningful event in the overall story.

What did you think?

1 comment:

B said...

To be honest - I thought it sucked. I really wish it all would have culminated in a big 80 page issue of "52" or something. Calling it "World War III" was a bit grandiose for such a blah event. As much as I appreciated "52" for at least giving me a reason to go to the comic book store every week, the whole series (perhaps aside from Ralph Dibny's last couple issues) was kind of a let-down. Oh well... we'll see what they've got cooked up with Countdown. The fact that DiDio said that the Flash in the preview pic is Barry sent chills down my spine!