The Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer movie is coming out this Friday.
To help you prepare, here's some information on the Surfer.
- The Surfer himself first appeared in 1966, in "Fantastic Four" No. 48
- In "Silver Surfer" No. 1 in 1968, Lee established that the Surfer was Norrin Radd of the planet Zenn-La who had volunteered to give up his life and girlfriend Shalla Bal to be Galactus' herald, to prevent the Devourer from gobbling up his world. The Big G gave Radd his "cosmic power," and a legend was born.
- The Silver Surfer treasures freedom above all else, but has often sacrificed his liberty for the greater good.
- Norrin's (Surfer's) mother Elmar, ill-suited to the stifling environment of planet Zenn-La, eventually killed herself.
- The Surfer served Galactus well for many years, enjoying exploring the wonders of the universe; however, it became increasingly difficult for Radd to find energy-rich worlds devoid of sentient life. Over time, Galactus subtly altered the Surfer's mind, submerging Radd's emotions and repressing past memories. As a result, the Surfer became much more willing to lead Galactus to inhabited worlds, such as Earth. Locating Earth despite Uatu The Watcher's covert attempts to ward him off, the Surfer caused widespread panic and fought the Fantastic Four. During this conflict, the Surfer met blind sculptress Alicia Masters, who sensed his inner nobility and pleaded with him to spare humanity.
One thing to note about the movie - I don't think Galactus will be the super-sized robot he was drawn as back in FF #48. Instead, he will be a cloud-like parasitic insect hoard, as he was in Ultimate Extinction. I have seen a trailer on TV where there are large, worm like clouds of purple and grey moving over earth - and I believe that that's Galactus. I could be wrong, but from all rumors I've heard, that will be Galactus. So, if you've seen that trailer with earth being covered or swarmed by a cloud - I think you've seen how Galactus will look in the Fantastic Four 2 movie.