Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Off the Grid

Because we are hardly ever home and because cable TV prices are pretty high, Craig and I have discussed getting rid of cable. We discussed it a while back, and mention it from time to time, but so far we have not yet gone off of the cable TV grid.

It seems like such a HUGE step. Even though we'd still have local stations it will feel like we are giving up a LOT of TV.

I didn't even have cable TV as a kid. My first exposure to it was in college and occasionally at a friend's house. Then when I moved out of my parent's house and lived on my own I went with just regular TV. But once Craig & and I bought our house we got DirectTV - we HAD to get something because his 60" tv was apparently unable to pick up any of the regular stations with just an antenna. We had Direct TV, then added TiVo... and now to cut back to just getting a basic package with mainly the local channels seems like a big loss.

But, we do know that most of the TV shows we watch eventually come out on DVD and then we can watch them at our leisure. Or at least by the due date. Unless we do something like Netflix where we could keep the DVD as long as we wanted until we watched it all. Plenty of TV shows are available for download too - but we don't want to sit around our 17" computer monitor watching our favorite shows when we could be watching them on our new 52" DLP TV.

So, do we go off the cable grid or not? I'm betting we hang on for a while longer. The fear of going without our favorite shows is just too great for us to pull the plug right now.

7 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

Mr. Sea and I struggle with the same dilemma. Problem is, neither of us is willing to give up Turner Classic Movies -- though it seems silly to be paying basic cable rates every month just so we can watch ONE CHANNEL.

Monster of the Week.com said...

If you don't watch tv at all and get everything off dvds or the net then cut it. But you do need cable these days unless you're getting the converter box for the digital tv conversion. I'd like to save a few $$ but the HD channels and news keep me from canceling.

Lisa said...

Funny how we all would like to save the money, but just can't pull the plug, isn't it? I remember when I was a kid there were about 6 TV stations and only 1/2 of them came in remotely well. Oh, and we didn't have a VCR!

John Holland said...

All I have is the basic cable package, which is about twelve channels, mainly the networks and some stuff that I never watch. I keep it because without it I can't get a decent picture and I get my internet hookup through the cable. But I really don't notice all the other channels being gone, when I had them I hardly ever watched them.

Anonymous said...

If you will still have high speed internet, I say cut it. You can easily connect your computer to your TV and download the progams you watch within hours of initial broadcast, in HD if you look hard enough. Netflix even has the option to stream some movies/shows.

Kurt said...

Six months without and I don't miss it. Hell, I just watched the Battlestar Mid Season Finale without it on my big DLP and it aired less than two hours ago.

Lisa said...

But, will downloading be: less expensive than cable, more expensive than cable, or about the same monthly cost as cable?