Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Stand


Last year Marvel comics began their adaptation of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series with a mini-series called "Gunslinger Born." Right now they are just finishing up the second part of that adaptation with "The Long Road Home." The first series met with huge sales, while the second series has lost some ground in sales numbers. I do believe that the second series will do as well, or nearly as well, as the first did in graphic novel format.

Realizing that they have a goldmine in Stephen King, Marvel is now adapting one of King's most popular novels, "The Stand." This series will begin in September and it will be done like the "Dark Tower" stories - in a series of mini-series. Personally I would rather see the whole thing in one longer series, rather than a bunch of mini-series. Since, as I just mentioned, the series seems to loose its legs the more mini-series come out. Fans get into the first one but then many of the non-regular comic book buyers forget that or when the next series is coming. I really LOVE the idea of Marvel adapting works like this, well known books by well known authors that are not their usual cape couture fair. But if I could give Marvel one piece of advice it would be that they should do the whole story at once instead of in pieces divided up by vast expanses of time.

According to Marvel, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa will be scripting the book and Mike Perkins is doing the art. Colorist Laura Martin, letterer Chris Eliopolus and cover artist Lee Berjemo will complete the team.

If you are not familiar with "The Stand," it is the story of the near extinction of the human race after a military bio-weapon nearly kills everyone. Much like the comic "Walking Dead" the survivors form camps and eventually fight with each other in the name of survival. Eventually this fight leads to the detonation of a nuclear weapon. The few survivors of that wonder if human kind will ever learn from its mistakes.

I think I will have to read it again before the comic book comes out. It is a long novel but I remember reading it in high school over a summer break and finishing it in just a couple of weeks. I do look forward to the series, and I hope that Marvel and King's people can really generate a huge amount of interest in this. This comic would be one I'd even consider doing a midnight release party for. While there are some who don't like King's writing, many do, and I would include myself in that group. Bring on "The Stand!"

1 comment:

John Holland said...

Stephen King is one of my favorite writers and his novel The Stand is one of my favorite books of his. I really liked his Dark Tower series but for some reason I can't really get into the comic book series.